Monday, September 26, 2005

what i'm missing

For a while, it looked like I might be spending a couple of weeks in Germany this month or next, running around with Jill, who is teaching workshops. For various reasons, the plan fell through, and I'm here amusing myself as best I can. But now that I know I'm missing the World Beard and Mustache Championships, I am nearly beside myself with distress. Although I like being a girl just fine, the one thing I envy men (some men, I know, not all) is the ability to grow meaningful facial hair, enough to play with.

I grow some, no mistake. But not enough to wax into points! If I could be a guy for a little while, I'd run through all the variations--funky sideburns, full beard, you name it. And then I'd probably settle on a vandyke; I suspect that's the sort of guy I would be. Occasionally I think I should cut off some of my head hair and make a prosthetic.

Getting some Halloween ideas...

Anyway. This years' WBMC can't possibly top last year's in Carson City, where SF's own $teven Ra$pa made an appearance. I don't know how they handled his inherent fabulousness; none of the competitor photos show anyone else willing to weave wire and flowers into their beard.