Saturday, March 13, 2004

feeling like you just can't pull it together?

I am, sort of. I won't tell the whole story now because I have to make myself all sassy and shit and go hand out flyers for the big troupe shindig fundraiser thingbob, but three words will sum it up: sucky class today.

So I went to the library to cheer myself up (AX quote again: So many of my conversations with you begin with 'I was just reading...') and found something almost as wonderful as my new favorite movie, But I'm A Cheerleader! (thanks, Snufkina!)

Joey Green's The Road to Success is Paved With Failure (Little, Brown and Company, 2001) reassures us that:

Ozzy Osbourne served two months in Winson Green prison for burglary at age seventeen and was fired from a job at a slaughterhouse.

Boris Karloff, unable to support himself as an actor, worked as a truck driver.

Mary Leakey was expelled from a convent school in England for refusing to recite poetry. She was expelled from a second convent school for deliberately setting off an explosion in chemistry class.

John Denver threw a party to celebrate the publication of his high school yearbook and no one showed up.

Steve McQueen worked as towel boy in a brothel in the Dominican Republic, got fired from a job selling pencils in a traveling carnival, and was thrown in the brig for forty-one days for going AWOL from the Marines to visit his girlfriend.

Joan Crawford worked as a laundress, waitress, and shopgirl.


I don't know about you, but I feel much better already.