Monday, September 12, 2005

i know we've all heard some horrible stories about animals in nola

So I offer this post off Craisglist: New Orleans. The subject line was "Military IS rescuing pets":

Reply to: anon-97030212@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-09-12, 12:29PM CDT

I got a call from my brother who is a National Guardsman deployed in New Orleans. He's near Elisian Fields Street. He told me of a rescue yesterday I thought someone somewhere may be interested to know. The guys found a Rottwieler and a Husky puppy, which they promptly rescued. The dogs apparently wouldn't go anywhere without the other. They also rescued a Pug who was floating along atop a dresser.

Also, there is a dog in someone's backyard. One of the First Sargents has taken to going by the house regularly with dog food, and water. They don't want to remove the animal, since the fence is intact, and the owner may yet return. But until you do, there is a kind man looking after your animal!

I hope this brings some comfort to those of you that are so worried. Oh, and my brother said that all the guys in his area of operations are "dog people". If they find your animal, they will be well looked after.

While we're at it, here's one of those sites where you click and they donate money to feed animals in shelters. Takes like one second.