Wednesday, March 16, 2005

this is gross

But I think I'm going to lose the nail I closed in the door back in December. Right after it happened, one of my co-workers told me I should drill a hole in the nail to release the pressure, but the thought bothered me too much. Knowing me, I'd drill through the whole damn finger. So I did nothing.

It takes 4-9 months for the nail at the cuticle to grow all the way out. Does that seem like a really long time to anyone else? Anyway, about 75% of the nail is black now, with a pure white lumpy horizontal streak about 4 mm from the cuticle. And there's a definite broken-looking ridgey sort of thing that has just emerged from the cuticle.

Oddly fascinating. And yucky at the same time. I see a lot of that finger--it handles D, E, S, and X, so obviously it's a hard worker. That's also my serving hand, and I've had to sort of adjust how I put down plates so I don't squick the wealthy people upon whom I wait.

Maybe I'll need a prosthetic nail! Wouldn't it be cool if I got something all chrome and rivets and hydraulics?