Sunday, March 27, 2005

right on maud!

She calls herself "a little woman with a little boat." But France's 27-year-old Maud Fontenoy has just become the first woman to row across the Pacific.

Yes, I said row.

Took her 72 days, a month less than expected. Which must have been a relief; two years ago when she became the first woman to row the Atlantic from west to east (seven have done it going the other way) it took six weeks longer than expected.

Do you remember what you were doing when you were 25? I barely do. But it certainly didn't involve hanging out with whales, or the French Navy sending out ships to protect me as I slipped through busy shipping lanes.

And at 27, I wasn't being carried ashore in Polynesia by guys in leaf skirts.

Better believe that if I owned a company that made muscle ache cream, I'd be sponsoring this woman!