Saturday, December 25, 2004

what's on your list?

Dancing Brave has an interesting idea: make a list of 101 Things To Do In 1001 Days. Set a target date, make the list (trying to keep things pretty specific, "become a better person" doesn't apparently count), and then try to stick to it.

I like this for a few reasons. One, it's not as open-ended as a New Year's resolution. Two, I like seeing her list, and Amanda's (I found DB through Amanda). I don't know either woman, but I have a strong sense now of each one, based on what they dream of doing. Probably totally off-base, but still fun. Three, as you can see from the comments to DB's list, it creates an opportunity for people to help you. Barbara Sher calls this "barn-raising"; breaking your dream down into manageable parts, and then enlisting your friends to help you achieve them. In DB's case, people are offering her professional massages (she's never had one), giving her advice on what to do when she spends that afternoon in the batting cage, and inviting her to go to knitting classes with them. I found myself looking through the list for things I can help her with, and I don't know her from Adam's housecat!

Some of the things, I don't personally see the point. One of these women plans to cut out all chocolate for three months. I can't imagine how that could be construed as a good thing.

But then, clearly my list will be different.