Wednesday, December 29, 2004

speechless

Every time I sit down to write, it seems inappropriate in the face of what I've just learned. As I don't own a television, I get my news online, via the BBC, and I usually check that before logging in to Blogger...which is where I see the numbers of dead rising, the photos of communities devastated. And like everyone else, I just can't get my head around it. 77,000 confirmed dead, and they haven't been to all the islands yet. How many people is that? That's a small city. That's the number of Belgian or Italian civilians who died in WWII, or Norwegian soldiers. And the prospect of disease following in the water's wake, taking how many more.

So while I was thinking last night about describing a tango performance I saw, or talking about how good it is to have MonkeyScientist back in town, albeit briefly, or even natter on mindlessly about the clutter-clearing I've been doing (and I need to get a shout out to my mom here, who is doing the same thing at her house, and apparently more effectively), it seems really small compared to what's going on.

So all I can say is that if you have anything to spare, send it on to Asia...I woke up in the middle of the night trying to remember who all owes me money (it's tricky, being so overemployed; stuff falls through the cracks) so I could call them today and suggest they get cracking on paying me. So I can contribute something.