Thursday, October 07, 2004

i don't know why the police were in my building last night

I just wish they hadn't buzzed me to let them in at 2 a.m., it kind of freaked me out a little. Not that they woke me; I was too busy cursing at my virus-ridden laptop and eating grocery-store puddin' right out of the container (trust me, mine's better), but still.

I hoped, briefly, that they had come to take my upstairs neighbors, the new folks in Unit One, away in chains. I can hear these people do everything. Everything. And they're clumsy at it, and they had apparently fallen asleep with the music on and set to a bass rhythm just a little too fast for my heart rate. But no such luck.

Sigh.

The nice thing, admittedly, about living in a real residential building again instead of over a tire dealership, is the knowledge that if I scream someone will hear me. I slept with the kitchen knife close (but not too close) to the air mattress anyway.

Just what I don't need is an accidental middle-of-the-night bed deflation.