Friday, August 20, 2004

quoting james thurber

He's having his work translated into French; it loses something in the original.


I just noticed that someone in Switzerland translated a page of my blog into German to read it; I didn't know Google could do that for you. Yes, yes, I'm sure you all knew that, but I'm sort of behind on these things. After I'd had a chance to think about how funny my stuff looks in German, I went ahead and translated a page into French.

It looks really cool in French. The translation's not perfect, but it's not bad for what it is. And some of my constructions would give a human translator conniptions...

Speaking of humans, part of last night's Adventure in Tech Support involved an alleged live chat with someone over at Earthlink that I suspect was not real. Some of the phrases this "person" was using were oddly formal. I kept wanting to ask, are you a real person? but then again, I kind of did not want to know.

I am heartily sick and tired of turning to automated systems for help. Although actual real live people are not really doing it for me either... but if I tell that story right now, I'll cry. And you really don't want that.

Better that I go to sleep and pretend this whole day happened to someone else.