Thursday, August 26, 2004

elektra lives

I took a deliberate pass on the Daredevil movie because thanks to BowlCut and a book he gave me many years ago, I believe too much in the classic Elektra, and the trailers didn't look promising.

It seems I wasn't the only one concerned; as Jennifer Garner says in this little trailer/making-of morsel, I know how important this character is to so many people, and I don't want to screw it up!

More honorable words were never spoken. Elektra may still not be Greek (her ambassador father was slain while she was still an undergrad, and Daredevil's First True Love, and yes it is very weird that I know that), but at least now, she's wearing red, and it looks like she may be training with the sensei who trained Stick (Daredevil's mentor) and/or the Hand (evil ninjas). It's hard to tell from the trailer. But either or both would be appropriate.

Meanwhile, wearing black, we have Christian Bale taking up the Batgauntlet in Batman Begins, which also apparently features Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine! The tone of the trailer is much different from the four Batman films we've had so far; stripped-down, bleak, and utterly lacking in rubber suits with built-in nipples. Which seems about right to me, as this one tells the story of how Bruce Wayne became Batman--it requires a little more, ah, gravity, than the first four. Not to mention that the Joel Schumacher Batman films were complete and utter excrement--I literally did not make it past the first ten minutes of Batman and Robin. I could not bear it. Once Tim Burton was out, the whole franchise just went to hell.

Ahem.

Anyway. An interesting lineup, beautiful shots of Tibet, a brooding Bale. I am guardedly optimistic.

What, you thought I went to art films?