Sunday, April 18, 2004

gone

Yesterday my father told my mother that he was ready to die, and then he went to sleep. An hour later, he was gone.

My mother and I will be fine, but it may be a while before I speak of this again here. I fly out at 6 am tomorrow; the ceremony is Tuesday, the interment Wednesday. We begin sitting shiva Thursday. I don't know what the rabbis of old would have made of the Internet, but I daresay that if we're supposed to cover all the mirrors, rend our clothes, and wail for seven days while other people feed us, blogging is probably not entirely kosher.

So to speak.

I've already sent this e-mail, but I want to thank everyone again who knows me and has been so kind throughout this process. I have come to realize that it is not only a fantastic family-of-origin with which I have been blessed...