Sunday, February 08, 2004

gay marrriage one

I absolutely fail to see the problem.

There's a much longer post lurking in me, but it will have to wait. For now, I just want to point out that marriage as we understand it is a pretty recent innovation, and historically has as much to do with the the conservation of property and the distribution of labor as it does anything else. Some of the anything else: the potential of loving companionship. The raising of children. The development of stable communities.

Where in this formulation do we see one man and one woman as the only valid combination?

The world is not going to come to an end if gay people are allowed to marry each other. Here's what will happen: the wedding industry will blossom. As a catering flunky, I of course appreciate that. Gay people who have had to worry about what happens legally if their beloved gets sick or dies will be able to spend that energy on something else. The distribution of property will be more clearly delineated. More mature, loving couples will be able to build families, through birth and adoption. The greeting card companies will do gangbuster business.

As I said, I just don't see the problem. Out here, away from my safe San Francisco cocoon, I've been listening to Good Christians on the radio talking about gay marriage as the fifth horseman of the Apocalypse. But they don't ever come out with anything solid.