Thursday, March 09, 2006

lifeblood

This is interesting. I've mentioned that in '95 I went to the NGO Forum that was an adjunct to the UN's Conference on Women as part of the Michigan delegation. It was an intense and educational week; eleven years later I'm still thinking about what I learned and saw.

When I got home, I was stunned to hear an American newscaster demeaning the conference because it "only" dealt with "women's issues" like clean water. As if getting clean water for one's family was on par, importance-wise, with making sure that their shoes and belts matched. Put a bunch of women together and they're not going to talk about the really important stuff, like wars and trade (although we did); they're going to worry about the health of their families and communities.

Well. Looks like clean water is actually important.