Friday, November 05, 2004

a couple of good things that happened tuesday

These are from an email I got from SaveOurEnvironment.org.

In Colorado, voters passed Amendment #37, an initiative that will now force the state's major energy companies to get 10% of their energy from renewable sources by 2015. This new law will reduce pollution just as much as taking 600,000 cars off of Colorado's roads each year!

In Montana, voters defeated I-147, a mining company-sponsored initiative that would have polluted the state's rivers, streams and drinking water by overturning a ban on dangerous open pit cyanide leach mining. Despite the fact that the mining company spent five times as much money as the grassroots campaign working to to uphold the ban, 60% of Montanans voted against I-147!

It's victories like these that give us hope. In both cases, the grassroots campaigns faced serious opposition from well-funded industry interests, and in both cases, the voters responded to support the best interests of the people and of the environment.


I'm finding writing anything I don't absolutely have to completely exhausting, and the work is uninspired. My NaNoWriMo count has slowed to a crawl. I want to write to friends but I don't know what to say. No progress on any of the art projects. After the election, and some of the wretched things Bush has said in the past couple of days, I'm feeling pretty listless on the creative effort front.

The artists I'm working for are feeling it too. So far I've modeled every day this week--one day I did two gigs--tomorrow is the last job of the week, and then I get a day off. Upshot is that the people I've been seeing the most of are all artists, and they're all furious and despairing. They stab at the clay and fitfully crumple up the drawings that don't please them. So I'm working doubly hard to be giving, present, engaged as a model. Putting out more than the usual amount of energy. Sweating more than usual; this morning I could feel it running down the insides of my legs, which is unusual, to say the least.

Throwing oneself into work is not sounding like such a bad idea right now.