Friday, June 25, 2004

bring on the theraflu

Worst is when you know you've caught a cold, but it hasn't decided yet how much it wants to rough you up. So you spend a few days with a sore throat, maybe there's some sneezing here and there, and I will not share the details about the snot because you know them already. And the whole time you can hear the little virus thinking, now? Hmm, not yet. Give her another couple of days.

Step to me, you little wanker; let's do this thing and get it over with.

But no. It's waiting for the weekend; conscious, I'm sure, that I am working all weekend, seeing plays, waiting on strangers, bustling around hither thither and yon. Wherever yon is, I've never been completely sure. Conscious, in other words, that yesterday would have been a fine day to be really sick, or even today, but that tomorrow through Wednesday are really inconvenient. So that is probably when it works its gooey viral magic.

How delightful.

In other news, look! A picture of the anthology my essay is in! Someday when I'm big and famous, I probably won't even notice what the covers of my books look like, just as I stopped seeing the movies I worked on after a few years in the dream factory. But right now, if I didn't feel so limp, I'd probably do a few circuits around the block.

As it is, a nap's probably a better idea.

The other interesting thing is that last night, I had two seperate people ask me how long I'd been studying belly dance. The first was at a regular class, the second at the mini-class Jill teaches before the monthly El Rio performance. Both women wanted to know how long they should expect to practice before they're "as good" as I am. I found the question bizarre both times; I haven't been blogging too regularly about this, but there's some troupe stuff going on that's frequently left me feeling despondent and as if I will never perform.

Incidentally, AX, I looked it up: "despondent" saw its first use around 1655. It's from the Latin de+spondere, and means "to lose heart"; spondere means something like "to promise in marriage."

So anyway. Two different women. I mean, both beginners; not in a position to see how technically off I am, but still. My troupe may not believe that I'll ever be ready, but these two nice women said the right thing at the right time, and seemed to mean it.