Sunday, July 10, 2005

being contrary

So match.com threw up a banner over something I was looking at a few days ago, and I thought, what the hell, I'll go take a look-see, see if anyone I know is advertising for luv. I was on match for a brief stint, a few years ago--just before I met E, actually--I don't see anything wrong with using the services. Two of the dearest people in my life, after all, came to me through Friendster.

The really fun thing, of course, is doing a search of people like you. In my case, that means checking out the women in my cohort. Several of whom write that they are "enjoying everything the Bay Area has to offer." The men say it too.

Stay with me for a minute here. Would anyone dare to write, "hating everything the Bay Area has to offer"? I mean, it's like there's a formula, and if you stray, well, no cookie for you. The larger idea being that you have to represent yourself as cheerful, fun-loving, active, fit, adventurous (but not too adventurous, if you follow me), bright-eyed and bushy-tailed alla damn time.

The very thought exhausts me. Don't get me wrong. I love fun. But I also love taking naps, a lot, and I don't see anyone else rhapsodizing about taking a bit of a lie-down. I might just go do that now, actually. The fog's coming in, the kids upstairs only have the television up to three-quarters-blaring, the linens are freshly laundered. Mmm-mm.

I guess real Matchsters haven't got the time for naps...they're too busy Enjoying Everything!