Saturday, January 01, 2005

drink more water, get more sleep, and floss occasionally

I'm actually sort of making resolutions this year. Or maybe it's more like the Pirate's Code; a set of guidelines, savvy? Anyway. A list of marks I'm going to not try to hit so much as try to sneak up on and take unawares.

NYE was fairly quiet, and involved my drinking about one glass of champagne too many, spilling me into maudlin-land. Fortunately nobody noticed. But New Year's Day was more like it; spent much of the day on MonkeyScientist's couch drinking beer and knitting to the sounds of Miles Davis and flamenco guitar. I like the butch/femme tension of that. Although I don't need to see any more Tostitos, or ranch dip, or even leftover Christmas candy.

All of which I have had in profusion today.

Last year at this time I had just learned that my father's cancer had metastasized. I spent New Year's Day 2004 wandering around the deep Mission, down Mission Street past Cesar Chavez and El Rio, making a mental list of what I needed to do before I left for Detroit to be with my folks. A hardware store was open and I went in and bought, without really thinking about it, a packet of fake snow and some Christmas lights (all on sale, post Yule) and looked without really seeing at some packets of crayons. The weather was bright and cold, I had just been evicted from my flat by the master tenant so she could move her boyfriend in, and I felt completely silent and weightless. Sort of like the Hindenburg.

It's hard to believe it's been a year. Sometimes it feels like ten. Sometimes it feels like a month.

I could do with 2005 not being like 2004. I really could. If this year is as much better than last year as today was in comparison to NYD04, I'll be in good shape.
___________________________________________________

In honor of both pirates and Thread, here are Ten Things to Do in Ocracoke. Not, I'm sure, that she's actually doing any of those things (crab beignets?), but she could if she wanted to, and you can too.