Wednesday, August 25, 2004

one will look at curves, diagrams and cheeses rotted under powerpoint

Not long after translating a page of my blog into French, I found a French blog called "Oh! Ma femme blogue! [Oh! My wife is blogging!]" about which I was curious. So I ran it through Google's translate tool, and got this.

It makes little to no sense, but is very beautiful in its own way. Which leads me to wonder how often this happens: something really isn't all that poetic in its own language, but translated... it gains something. Some sparkle.

AX, during a recent discussion where we were figuring out which country we and all our friends will have to move to if Kerry loses the election, noted that he doesn't want to have to learn a new language because I don't want to be stupid. Speaking haltingly in some other idiom we can sound cloddish, lumpy, slow.

Or shimmeringly, intoxicatingly, mysterious.